- Types of cosmetic implants according to Application
- Types of cosmetic products and procedure according to raw material
- Market share of cosmetic surgery in ASEAN
- The Industrial Chain of Cosmetic Implants and Procedure
Cosmetic implants are specially designed medical devices that are placed under the skin or over the body of a person to enhance physical appearance either for the purpose of improving aesthetics and psychological satisfaction or for correcting deformities because of a disease, trauma, accident or congenital condition. Over the years, the market for cosmetic implants continue to grow with the development of minimally invasive procedures, technological advancements on implant materials, increase in consciousness about physical appearance and personality development alongside increasing cultural and social acceptance. The projected growth of the global cosmetic surgery is USD 10.56 billion during 2019-2023 with the market growth momentum accelerating throughout the forecast period with 33% of the growth coming from the Asian market.
Figure 1. Global cosmetic surgery market
Source: from Global Cosmetic Surgery Market 2019-2023 Published: Feb 2019 SKU: IRTNTR30860
Types of cosmetic implants according to Application
- Facial implants are materials used to modify or repair features or abnormalities in the face. This can be segmented into cheek implants, chin implants, and nasal implants. Market growth for this is expected because of the increasing incidence of road accidents and trauma cases, prevalence of congenital deformities, and increased motivation among the younger population to enhance their appearance.
Figure 2. The raw material of facial implants.
- Breast implants market held the largest share in the 2018 global aesthetic market. This is expected to continue to grow with the increasing preference to look more attractive and fit, and increasing prevalence of breast cancer. The latter can be prevented by the removal of the entire breast with an available option of reconstruction by implantation. Also an important market driver is the development of advanced implants such as gummy bear implants and the increasing popularity of minimally-evasive under the muscle breast enlargement.
- Other cosmetic implants include calf implants, buttock implants, pectoral implants, penile implants, and ear implants.
Table 1. The category of beauty treatment
Types of cosmetic products and procedure according to raw material
- Polymer implants held a global market share of 42.5 % in breast and facial implant procedures in 2017. Aside from low prices, desirable properties of thermoplastic polymers for medical devices include high durability, ability to be molded into various shapes and sizes, versatility and stability. Orthopaedic and electronic devices have shown increased use of PEEK and UHMWPE. Other polymeric materials used for medical devices include PP, PC, ABS, PMMA, PVC, PS and PET.
- Biological implants and procedures are expected to be a very attractive and highly profitable segment in the coming years. These implants are the material of choice because of its better biocompatibility and capability to remain undisturbed healing phase due to bioresorbability. Also, with the anticipation of more players partaking in this market, it is expected to lower the cost with the strengthened competitive market. The limiting factors for market growth for most of these materials are the high cost of the implant and surgery as well as the time-consuming process of obtaining market authorization for the products. One popular procedure using a biological material is Botulinum Toxin injection.
Market share of cosmetic surgery in ASEAN
North America remains to be the largest market for cosmetic implants followed by Europe. This is because in these regions, there is the presence of high-tech infrastructure, high awareness for aesthetic appearance, larger disposable incomes, high economic activity, awareness campaigns and emerging technologies in implants. However, it is anticipated that the Asia Pacific cosmetic surgery market will exhibit the fastest growth alongside the expansion of the medical tourism industry, rising awareness in available cosmetic procedures and improving economic conditions. Specifically, with the South Korean population increased interest in remaining youthful, this market has the potential to take a significant share in the global plastic surgery market. In ASEAN, significant contribution is expected from Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia.
Figure 3. Aesthetic Implants Market Size, Share and Industry Analysis